Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fat Old Man

When I run, I see a fat, tired old man. He doesn't move fast or well and appears as if he might drop dead at any time. His chest is puffed out like a bird attracting a mate and his skinny legs pound gracelessly as his hopefully relaxed feet slap the pavement.

I should probably stop looking at my shadow while I run.

I've gone running a good 3 or 4 times in this last week. My legs are still a bit sore when I'm done but not nearly as much since I managed to slow my pace. And when I say "legs," I mean calves. My thighs are apparently bulletproof. They never seem to get sore and the only time they get tired at all is when I'm running stairs or riding hard on a bicycle (the only way I seem to be able to ride one :) ).

Tonight I thought went particularly well until the home stretch. I managed to run the entire way with the exceptions of stopping twice for Hero to eliminate. But by the time I got to said home stretch I was ready to die. I realize of course that part of threatening to become an ultra-runner is increasing the length of the course your run, but shouldn't I be able to run the length of the course which is at this point not more than 1.5 miles (my guess) without stopping to walk or dying? I'm just impatient I think. I want to be able to run 50 miles at a shot RIGHT NOW without having to do the work to get there. I want to be able to run and enjoy it without wondering if my right hip is going to fall out of the socket and leave me on the side of the road to die.

Hero still isn't keeping up with me even though I'm "running" at a speed that I figure is on par with (or maybe SLIGHTLY faster) than the speed at which Hero would naturally migrate. So I'm sticking to my theory that she is in fact NOT a border collie at all, but something else entirely. I'm still working on what she is but I'll let you know when I figure it out.

I'm giving up for now. I've been writing for at least an hour it seems, but the Lady Disdain is watching Little Women and it's pretty seriously distracting. So...

I'm done. I went running. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment