Monday, August 30, 2010

Been A Long Time, I'll do better

Been A Long Time, Been A Long Time...


Seems like that should be a song... Maybe it is...


Anyway, the title says it all and I want you all to know (all 1 of you who read this) that I have failed you terribly. I haven't been running every time or even half the time when I'm mad and I really need to get on that. In my own defense I haven't been mad half as much since changing living arrangements, but still I have no excuse for not running like I should have been and therefore I offer none.


There's good news though. I just got back from a run. It wasn't bad really. I seem to have found a good pace that's slower and more consistent than the pace my legs WANT to go and after about a 3 block warm up, I can go the rest of the distance of my run without walking. Admittedly it's not a long run but we have to start somewhere I guess.


I realized the other day that I went on forever about wanting to get Vibram Fivefingers, but once I got them I stopped talking about them completely lol. So here's the deal:


THEY ARE AWESOME!! They're not EXACTLY like being barefoot, but it's close enough. They're incredibly comfortable. I've heard several people say that having their toes in "individual compartments" would drive them crazy. Well too bad for you cuz it doesn't bug me. I realize you all know this but I would really rather die than wear regular shoes ever again.


I did my research and read up on the proper break-in for both the 5fingers AND my feet-which stated that when I first get them I should only wear them for a few hours at a time until my feet get used to supporting themselves and then gradually wear them for longer- and promptly put them on and wore them for I think it was right around the 11-days-straight-day-in-day-out mark when my feet started hurting for the first time. So to remedy this, the next day at work I wore my regular work shoes (old and very worn out -but in a bad way- New Balance running shoes) and the day after that I was back in my 5fingers. That was a good month and a half ago, and I haven't worn normal shoes for more than a couple of hours at a shot since then.


Now when my feet start to hurt (and I REALLY think it's because I work all day on tile floors -and that will make ANYONE's feet hurt), I think to myself, "I should probably switch to my work shoes now and promptly forget and keep right on wearing my 5fingers.


I found that as comfortable as they are, if you soak them in water while you're wearing them (like in a stream at the park :) ) they mold to your feet and feel even more comfortable than before.


Yes they were expensive, and I hope they last a long time, but to me they are easily worth the price I paid for them. Now with winter coming on I'm going to order a model called "Flows" which are designed with colder temperatures in mind so I don't have to wear shoes during the cold months either. I really wish I could find a pair of "Surges" which were sort of like the Flows but came up to the top of your ankle. But they don't make that model any more for whatever reason.


I hear you can wear toe socks with 5fingers but as I HATE SOCKS, I can't see why you'd want to. My 5fingers keep my feet warm when it's cooler outside and have done just fine in the heat as well. My feet are easy sweaters whenever they are enclosed in ANYTHING (seriously my feet never smell when I'm straight barefoot), but that is the only downside I've found so far.



So in case I wax too long as usual, let's recap:

*5Fingers are awesome.

*You should break yours in the right way even though I didn't

*I think everyone should wear them

*They are well worth their price and are cheaper than a lot of "good" running shoes

*I will never wear normal shoes again

*I need to run more

*I hate socks.

*Sadly my 5fingers get more attention than I do, but they probably deserve it more



I think that's about it. I'm sure there's all kinds of things I've forgotten to include that you wanted to know, but if so just leave a comment (yes you can do that even though you don't have an account) or shoot me an email or a FB message.


So in further conclusion, I'm thinking about going insane and running twice per day. I have lots of energy after my run a bit ago, but we'll just see how it goes I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment